Bread Marvelous Bread


The art of breadmaking and baking in this country is on par with their engineering skills.

German expats and those of us who have lived in Germany for years, all miss German bread once we are out of the country. It is one of the first thing German expat communities do when they are abroad, set up their own bakeries.

My husband had his best ever pretzels outside of Bavaria, at the German bakery in Cape Town.

Now one thing that the German bakers even do better is to take a bread recipe from anywhere in the world and turn it into a masterpiece. I spent weeks in Tuscany trying to find a Ciabiatta that was not dry and tasteless. My favourite in this area is with feta cheese and olives on top. Add to that a glass of red wine and it is a meal.

Or take baguette, which is big in our area on the border to France. The bakeries here have all sorts of healthy baguettes with muesli, with all sorts of nuts and corns, with cheese. A feast!

And on Fridays I buy organic health bread from the market here in Trier and week after week let the baker convince me to try a new type of bread. I am an easy sucker, but it is always delicious.

Comments